Matteo Bastianelli (b. 1985) is a freelance documentary photographer and filmmaker based in Rome, Italy. Above all he works on long-term projects related to social, environmental and human rights issues, with a keen interest in consequences of wars and their effects on those who live through it, focusing on the theme of memory and identity.
In 2012 he was nominated honorable member of the international team of experts for the “Institute for Research of Genocide” in Canada. “The Bosnian Identity” is his first book and documentary film, “Vittorio de Seta” prize for the director of the best documentary film at BIF&ST- Bari International Film Festival 2013.
He was a member of Reportage by Getty Images Emerging Talent till 2014. His images and videos have been published and commissioned by a number of media outlets, NGOs, national and international magazines, such as Al Jazeera, Burn, CNN, Der Spiegel, Discovery Channel Interactive, D- La Repubblica, El Pais, Il Corriere della Sera, International Committee of the Red Cross, Internazionale, International New York Times, Lens – The New York Times, L’Espresso, L’Europeo, L’Oeil de la Photographie, La Repubblica, La Stampa, MSNBC, National Geographic, Newsweek Japan, PDN, RTL News, Rhythms of Taipei, Super 8-La Repubblica, Stern, TIME Lightbox, Vanity Fair, among others. His projects have been shown in Belgium, Brazil, Estonia, France, Germany, Iran, Italy, Spain, Portugal, Turkey, The Netherlands and USA.
He has received various significant awards for his work, among which PDN’s Photo Annual, Marco Bastianelli Prize for the Best First Book, Emerging Talent Award at Reportage by Getty Images, Canon Young Photographers’ Award, Honorable Mention from the NPPA- Best of photojournalism, finalist for the Burn Emerging Photographer Fund, Fotovisura Grant, PixPalace-Visas ANI and the Lumix Multimedia Award.
In 2013 he started working on “Souls of Syrians”, a new multi-platform project which stems from the concern to document, in a very profound way, the effects of war on the life of Syria’s lost generation. “Souls of Syrians” received the Italian Doc Screenings Development Award for best documentary film in 2015, the AP32- American Photography Awards in 2016 and was a finalist at Luchetta Prize in 2017. The project, still ongoing, it is a means to overcome the climate of fear that the influx of refugees has caused in many European countries, by humanizing people through a direct and sincere contact with them.
New projects are under and away in his home country, Italy, where since 2016 he has been working on “Green gold”, which aims to highlight the dynamics linked to the Cannabis business in Europe and to analyze the effects of Prohibition. The project has been published as cover story of 2017 June’s issue of National Geographic Italia and all over the world on National Geographic Photography. “Green gold” was also screened on September 2017 during the International Festival of Photojournalism “Visa pour l’image” in Perpignan, France.
- “Bilder Nordic School of Photography”, workshop with Eugene Richards, 2011.
- “Officine Fotografiche”, workshop with Christian Caujolle, 2011.
- “Scuola Romana di Fotografia”, Master in reportage and photojournalism, 2007-09.
- High school diploma, 2004.
- Souls of Syrians (in development)
- MaldiMare, 71′ Italy 2014
- The Bosnian Identity, 52′ Italy 2013
- Home sweet homeless, 5′ Italy 2012
- A silent scream for life, 5’ Italy 2011
- Back and forth, 5’ Italy 2010
Awards and recognitions
- Luchetta Prize, Finalist, 2017
- FC Barcellona Photo Award, Finalist Prize, 2017
- Nominated World Press Photo Joop Swart Masterclass 2017
- AP32- American Photography Awards, Winner 2016
- Tokyo International Photo Award, silver winner 2016
- Life Framer Award, Honorary Winner 2016
- 5th Lumix Festival for Young Photojournalism, Multimedia Award Finalist 2016
- Italian Doc Screenings Development Award for Best Documentary Film, Winner 2015
- CineEco International Film Festival, Official Jury Honorable Mention 2015
- CineEco International Film Festival, Youth Jury Honorable Mention 2015
- Photocrati Fund, Finalist 2014
- PixPalace-Visas ANI award, Shortlisted 2014
- Nominated World Press Photo Joop Swart Masterclass 2013
- Doc/it Professional Award, Finalist 2013
- Emerging Talent Award, Reportage By Getty Images, Winner 2013
- Marco Bastianelli Prize for the Best First Book, Winner 2013
- Vittorio de Seta Prize for the Best Documentary Film at BIF&ST, Winner 2013
- Nominated World Press Photo Joop Swart Masterclass 2012
- IPA, Deeper perspective category, Honorable Mention 2012
- Institute for Research Genocide, Honorary membership 2012
- 3rd Lumix Festival for Young Photojournalism, Multimedia Award Finalist 2012
- Fotovisura Grant, Finalist 2012
- Gomma Award, Shortlisted 2012
- IPA, Feature Story category, Honorable Mention 2011
- IPA, Environmental category, Honorable Mention 2011
- IPA, People category, Honorable Mention 2011
- NPPA-Best of photojournalism, Honorable Mention 2011
- Multimedia Photojournalism Award (MEI), Honorable Mention 2011
- Sodalitas Award for Social Journalism, Finalist 2011
- Freedom to Create Prize, Highly Commended Artist 2011
- Amilcare Ponchielli Award-GRIN, Shortlisted 2011
- Connect Slide Show Contest, Finalist 2011
- Canon Young Photographers Prize, Best project, Winner 2010
- Emerging Photographer Fund- Magnum Foundation, Finalist 2010
- JFF -Blur magazine, Winner 2010
- PDNs Photo Annual, Winner 2010
- Foiano Fotografia, Winner 2009
- Fotografia-Roma, 2nd prize, 2009
- Fotoleggendo, 3rd prize, 2009
- FC Barcelona Photo Award, 2017
- 5th Lumix Festival for Young Photojournalism, 2016
- Blacklie, Limes Images, 2014
- 3rd Lumix Festival for Young Photojournalism, 2012
- Metropolis, Noorderlicht Photography Foundation, 2011
- Voices of courages, Freedom to Create Prize, 2011
- The Dreamers, Foiano Fotografia, 2010
The Bosnian Identity
Author: Matteo Bastianelli
Graphic Design: Daniele Zendroni
Editing: Tiziana Faraoni
Preface: Gigi Riva
English Edition | cm. 18 x 24
118 B&W pictures
Released: October 2012
Exhibitions and screenings
2017 – The shock after Screening at Visa Pour l’Image, Perpignan, France
2013 – The Bosnian Identity Tagliacozzoinfilm. Tagliacozzo, Italy
2013 – The Bosnian Identity Umbria World Fest. Foligno, Italy
2012 – A silent scream for life Bursa Photo Fest. Istanbul, Turkey
2012 – A silent scream for life Lumix Festival. Hannover, Germany
2010 – Castles made of playing-cards Collective exhibition. Abruzzo, Italy
2009 – Living quarters Collective exhibition, Casale de Merode. Rome, Italy
2009 – Home sweet homeless Collective exhibition. Avellino, Italy